The construction of the Sydney Metro will impact on our community and result in major changes to public transport in the area.
Oppose the suspension of Bankstown Line train services for stations not receving the Sydney Metro
Key Information & Dates
Sydney Metro City & Southwest – 30km of metro rail line from Chatswood, through Sydney’s CBD, to Bankstown. The line includes 15.5km underground twin tunnels from Chatswood to Sydenham and the upgrade and conversion of the current 13.5km line between Sydenham and Bankstown.
11 stations will be upgraded from Sydenham to Bankstown.
Sydney Metro City & Southwest is expected to open by the end of 2024.
Bankstown to Liverpool Metro Rail Extension Project
Bankstown to Liverpool Metro: Study Area
Note: The map does not represent the operation of the Bankstown Line post contruction of the Metro. Transport NSW has indicated that the map is not indicative of routes or station locations (i.e. Liverpool via Regents Park is not guaranteed).
Impact of Sydney Metro CBD & Southwest and Bankstown to Liverpool Extension
- Bankstown Station will become a major interchange between suburban Sydney Trains and the new Sydney Metro.
- Commuters from Yagoona, Birrong, Sefton, Chester Hill, Leightonfield, Villawood and Carramar will lose ALL direct train services to the City.
- Sydney Metro trains between Bankstown to Liverpool are likely to run on a new rail corridor instead of converting the Bankstown Line.
- Transport NSW's current intention is for suburban Sydney Trains to continue to operate between Bankstown, Lidcombe and Cabramatta/Liverpool once the Sydney Metro CBD & Southwest is completed.
- However light rail has been suggested as a possible replacement for the remaining Bankstown Line stations between Bankstown, Lidcombe and Cabramatta.
The community action group proposes that the Inner West Line (Liverpool via Regents Park) train service be restored to provide direct train services to the city for Berala, Regents Park, Sefton, Chester Hill, Leightonfield, Villawood and Carramar with the impending cut to the suburban Sydney Trains' Bankstown Line for the Sydney Metro.
The Sydney Metro Bankstown to Liverpool rail extension is supported by Bankstown-Canterbury Council and Liverpool City Council.
Bankstown MP Tania Mihailuk supports restoring the Inner West Line (Liverpool via Regents Park) train service and has indicated that she does not want a new rail corridor between Bankstown to Liverpool with a preference for the conversion of the existing Bankstown Line.
Restore Inner West Line calls for western and northern Bankstown Line trains to be maintained during the construction of the Sydney Metro.